Day One: Julius Caesar
• Open with overview PowerPoint slide show on Julius Caesar
• 45-minute National Geographic Documentary on Caesar
• Read Act I and Act II aloud
• 5 minute History Channel Video: Coroner’s Report on Caesar
• Writing Task One: Why does Shakespeare choose to depict the life of Caesar as the life of a tragic hero? How does that conflict with what you learned in the documentary? Thirty minutes to write and email to teacher
• Complete Act I and Act II study questions.
Day Two: Julius Caesar
• Open by reading Act III aloud. Breakdown of themes in Mark Antony’s speech.
• Video clip of Marlon Brando as Marc Antony
• Video clip of Charlton Heston as Marc Antony
• Writing Task Two: Imagine you were a citizen of Rome during the assassination of Caesar. Which Marc Antony speech, Brando’s or Heston’s, would motivate you to rise up against the action of the Senate? Reflect on your mood as you heard the speeches and the tone created by each actor. Thirty minutes to write and submit by email to teacher.
• Technology Focus: Create an interactive storyboard that tells the story of Julius Caesar in six panels. Use one quote per panel. Use the online tool, storyboardthat.com.
• Read Act IV and Act V.