High School English Lesson Plans, Grades 9-12
Finding engaging English lesson plans for hard-to-impress high school teenagers is no small task. Here you will find hundreds of helpful teaching ideas, units and themes that can be used for a range of grades and abilities, including AP English suggestions.
- The Christian Response to The Da Vinci Code
The Davinci Code raises some obvious questions about the Christian religion. In this lesson, you will provide the other side of the story and have a lively debate with your students. Includes a downloadable Power Point.
- Teaching Jurassic Park Using Content Questions
This lesson provices chapter questions for each iteration in Jurassic Park. This will allow you to test your student's knowledge of vocabulary, key terms and plot.
- Chaos Ensues! Teaching Jurassic Park via Chaos Theory
Themes of Chaos Theory are repeated throughout "Jurassic Park". This lesson provides an easy way to teach a complex theory to your High School English class.
- Terms to Dig In To Before Reading: Scientific Vocabulary for Jurassic Park
Before delving into a novel, go over some important scientific terms with your students. This lesson includes a power point, vocabulary list and a quiz.
- Dinosaur Fever! Teaching Jurassic Park With Flair
Have your students catch Dinosaur fever in high school by reintroducing "Jurassic Park". This start of the series begins with a power point on dinosaurs.
- "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" and LOST
How do you deal with fear? What tactics can you use to control fear? Explore this theme using the first episode of LOST as well as sections from "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon".
- Comparing The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon & Snow White
At first glance, it may seem like a Disney cartoon and a Stephen King novel could have little in common. However, there are some striking similarities between the character of Trisha and the character of Snow White. Have your students do a comparison, and also get a lesson on hypothermia.
- Nine Innings of Wandering in the Woods: Teaching 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'
After the previous lesson on baseball rules and terminology, it's time to start delving into the book! This lesson includes an overview of the book, chapter quizzes for students and Power Point presentations on the 9 innings. Enjoy!
- Swing Into Baseball Season by Teaching "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"
"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" can be a surprising but effective choice to teach in your high school classroom. Begin the series by teaching the rules of baseball. This lesson includes several downloads and teaching aides.