Flipped learning has become something every wants to know about. The web is alive with teachers passing advice and recorded lessons. The movement has spawned its own national conference, FlipCon, which began in 2008.
Bergman, Sams and the rest of the FlippedClass.com staff host boot camps, one-day workshops and ongoing partnerships to teach teachers and administrators. They have published a book together titled Flip your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day.
A central problem all flippers face is how to get technology into the hands of every student, no matter the affluence of the school or student. Sams says that is always the first question asked. They surveyed their student body and found 80% had access to the internet. Then they focused on getting lessons to the other 20%. It took some creativity, but they got it done.
They put videos on flash drives for students with computers but no internet. They burned DVDs for students with TVs but no computers. They put lessons on iPods and phones. They beat the roadblock with ingenuity.
As technology gets cheaper and more ubiquitous, the roadblock will shrink. The revolution created by Bergman and Sams will continue to grow. Education will never be the same.